Assisted Living Nurse Certification Exam
ABOUT THE EXAM
The American Assisted Nurses Association administers and maintains the Assisted Living Nurse Certification exam, which is available to both RNs and LPN/LVNs. This exam is an online certification exam that tests knowledge of care for older adults in Assisted Living Facilities. Upon successful completion of the exam, the letters C-AL may be affixed after your name to indicate successful completion of the AALNA Certification Examination for Assisted Living Nurses.
The exam content include the following:
- Primary Care Considerations: can include questions about older adult population (demographics), normal aging, health promotion, environmental issues (e.g., safety), culture & ethnicity, spirituality, autonomy, sexuality, pharmacological considerations, culture and ethnicity.
- Major Health Problems: can include questions regarding knowledge of physiological systems and psychosocial assessment.
- Organizational & Health Policy: can include questions about LTC continuum, federal statutes and regulations, reimbursement, case management.
- Professional Issues: can include questions about scope and standards of practice, leadership and management, legal, ethical and research issues.
PREPARING FOR THE EXAM
While clinical work and experience is important to an understanding of this type of care, we strongly recommend that nurses review the following resources prior to taking this examination:
- Learn more about the exam process
- Learn more about the steps for certification
- Review the AALNA AL Exam Competencies
- Review the Scope and Standards of Assisted Living Nurse Practice
- Recommended Study Tools:
What you can expect after you submit your application:
- Application Processing: Application processing can take up to seven (7) days to complete, but is usually much faster. If for some reason your application is denied you will be notified.
- Login Account Creation: Once your application is approved, it will take up to two (2) business day to create your login account. Your specific login information (User Name and Password) will be the same information that you specify on your application form.
- Email Notification: After your Exam Account has been created you will receive an email with instructions on how to access the Exam. Once you receive this notification you are free to take the exam when you have time.
- Taking the Exam: We estimate that the exam will take about 2 hours to complete. You will want to ensure that you have at least that much time to dedicate to taking the exam because once you start it, you must complete it. Pass or Fail, it must be completed. At this point in time, you are allowed as many attempts to pass the exam as you need, so if you don’t pass on the first attempt, you can take the exam again.
- Certificate: Once the exam has been passed, we will verify your passing status. Once verified, you will receive your Assisted Living Nurse Certification certificate in the mail within 14 days.
Certifications are good for 4 years. To renew your certificate you will need to obtain 20 hours of continuing education specific to Assisted Living Nursing from any NAB or ANCC approved provider and pay a $75 AALNA member renewal fee (non-member renewal fee is $175).